Hiroki Tokinaga, Associate Professor
I am an Associate Professor at the Hakubi Center / Disaster Prevention Research Institute of Kyoto University. My research interests include diagnostic and modeling studies of observed climate variability and change over the tropics and extratropics, with a particular focus on ocean-atmosphere interaction. I have also reconstructed historical climate datasets from in situ observations including ship and buoy measurements to identify consistent patterns of regional climate variability and change.
- Ph.D., Graduate School of Environmental Earth Science, Hokkaido University, Japan, 2005, Dissertation title: "Lower atmospheric response to extratropical ocean fronts"
- M.S., Graduate School of Environmental Earth Science, Hokkaido University, Japan, 2002.
- B.S., Geoscience, University of Tsukuba, Japan, 2000.
Tokinaga, H., S.-P. Xie, C. Deser, Y. Kosaka, and Y. M. Okumura, 2012: Slowdown of the Walker circulation driven by tropical Indo-Pacific warming. Nature, 491, 439-443, doi: 10.1038/nature11576. [Article] [Supplementary Information] ©2012 NPG
Tokinaga, H., S.-P. Xie, A. Timmermann, S. McGregor, T. Ogata, H. Kubota, and Y.M. Okumura, 2012: Regional patterns of tropical Indo-Pacific climate change: Evidence of the Walker Circulation weakening. J. Climate, 25, 1689-1710. [Article] ©2012 AMS; [Highlight in Nature Geosci.]; [2012 Yamamoto-Shyono Medal from the Meteorological Society of Japan (in Japanese)]
Tokinaga, H., and S.-P. Xie, 2011: Weakening of the equatorial Atlantic cold tongue over the past six decades. Nature Geosci. 4, 222-226, doi:10.1038/ngeo1078. [Article] [Supplementary Information] ©2011 NPG
Tokinaga, H., and S.-P. Xie, 2011: Wave and Anemometer-based Sea-surface Wind (WASWind) for climate change analysis. J. Climate, 24, 267-285. [Article] ©2011 AMS
Tokinaga, H., Y. Tanimoto, S.-P. Xie, T. Sampe, H. Tomita, and H. Ichikawa, 2009: Ocean frontal effects on the vertical development of clouds over the western North Pacific: In situ and satellite observations. J. Climate, 22, 4241-4260. [Article] ©2009 AMS
Tokinaga, H., and Y. Tanimoto, 2004: Seasonal transition of SST anomalies in the tropical Indian Ocean during El Nino and Indian Ocean dipole years. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 82, 1007-1018. [Article] ©2004 MSJ
- The Young Scientists’ Prize of "Commendations for Science and Technology” from the Japan Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, 2015.
- The Okada prize from the Oceanographic Society of Japan, 2013.
- The Yamamoto-Shyono Medal for the 2012 Journal of Climate paper entitled "Regional patterns of tropical Indo-Pacific climate change: Evidence of the Walker Circulation weakening", Meteorological Society of Japan, 2012. [Award Citation in Japanese]